Victims of Crime
We Provide Legal Advice to Victims of Crime
At Girones Lawyers, we understand the trauma that is involved when you are the victim of a violent crime. Consult with our bodily injury lawyers to gain a thorough understanding of your legal rights if you have been injured as a result of a violent crime in Ontario.
As a victim of a violent crime in Ontario, you can make a claim for compensation through Ontario’s Criminal Injuries Compensation Board. You may also be able to sue your assailant in civil court. Whether you decide to pursue one or both of these options will depend on many factors, including:
- Whether you or a loved one was killed or seriously injured as a result of the crime
- Whether the crime in question meets the Board’s definition of “violent crime”
- Whether the identity of your assailant is known and whether they were convicted of the crime in question, and
- The chances of recovering any compensation from your assailant in a successful civil suit.
If the alleged criminal offender is unknown or cannot be located, an application to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board may be your best option. Our lawyers can represent you in your claim to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation to which you are entitled. We understand that no amount of money can truly compensate you for your losses, but the Board can compensate you for the following expenses, which may enable you to focus your energy on recovering:
- Medical, rehabilitation and treatment expenses
- Loss of income if you are unable to work due to your injury
- Funeral expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Counselling expenses, and
- Loss of financial support, if the deceased victim of a violent crime had financially dependent family members.
Consult Girones Lawyers as soon as possible to ensure that your legal rights are preserved.